Why Blog?

I'm a 22 year college graduate, documenting the things in my life that I want to always remember. The big things, the little things, the crazy things, the everyday things. It gets a bit random at times, and sometimes I like to ponder on the craziness of life. There's nothing earth-shattering here, but I like to think it's all fun to read. Read, leave me comments, ask questions, enjoy.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Connected?

In this day and age, it seems like everyone is connected to the "rest of the world" in any number of ways. There's cell phones, email, facebook, twitter, chatting, the list goes on and on. And although we'd like to think we're not dependent on the technology of the day, I'd beg to differ.

Lately, I've taken to sleeping with my phone under my pillow so that I'm always available. I quite dislike the idea of being so accessible, but after missing a couple of calls from someone who really needed to talk to me, I decided I could live with it. The only problem with this is that I tend to forget my phone under my pillow. Now typically I remember just as I'm walking out the door to grab it, but this morning I forgot. I was gone from my room for about five and a half hours, and when I got back I had three missed calls and five new text messages. I don't even realize from day-to-day how much I use my cell phone, but throughout the day, I discovered that I hate being without it.

As soon as I realized that I had forgotten my phone, I hopped on a computer and let the world know via facebook that I didn't have it with me. Even though I knew it wasn't there, I went to use my phone several times today. To call a friend to meet up for some girl talk, to text the person whose room I usually hang out in during my break, to call a partner for a class project, to let the person I was meeting to work on a paper know that I was running a little late, or even just to check the time. And of course, there was the added fact that there were seven explosive packages found around my hometown today and I wanted to talk to my little sister. I hated being without a phone. It was so inconvenient, and I felt a little incomplete without it.

It makes me sad to realize how dependent on technology my generation is. A girl should be able to go without her phone for a few hours right? I don't foresee this getting any better in the future, but I kind of wish we could go back to the "old" days, where cell phones didn't exist, and if you wanted to tell someone something without doing it face-to-face, you had to write them a letter, call them on a landline, or have someone else pass the message on. In my dorm this year, we don't even have landlines in our rooms because the vast majority of the student population has a cell phone.

Anyway, I don't really know where I'm going with this, but it caught my attention today, and I thought I'd share my ponderings with y'all. I hope you enjoyed your last day of September! xo

No comments: