You all know that I was living at my cabin this summer, and you may remember me mentioning that I had really gotten into biking. I was biking close to 14 miles a day, and I loved it! Sadly, I haven't biked at all since I got home. My one week that I had before moving to school was really busy, and we weren't able to fit my bike in the back of the truck when I moved, so I don't have it at school yet. Well after about two weeks of not being able to bike, and not wanting to go to the gym when it's so nice out, I had to figure something out. I didn't really want to ask my dad to make the two and a half hour round trip up to school just to bring me my bike, and yet I really needed to be able to get out and exerisize in some way. I gave up on not going to the gym last Thursday and decided that I could suck it up and go spend a couple of hours inside in order to have some time to myself. On my way down to the gym I remembered that I could check out rollerblades from the REC desk for 24 hours.... Now, I haven't rollerbladed since I grew out of my last pair of blades, when I was about 10, so I was a little apprehensive about going out on them, but I decided to give it a try and I ended up rollerblading for a good hour. I didn't find a particularly pretty trail, but I ended up going about nine miles that day.
The next day, Friday, my best friend Brittany and I decided to go out blading and we set off towards SJU. Well, this trail was gorgeous and it was a beautiful day, but unfortunately we had no idea where we were going. So we missed our turn. We ended up in Avon, which is about five miles too far, and then we had to turn around. By the time we made it to SJU, approximately two and a half hours had passed, and we were coming up on mile #14. I was getting pretty tired and was still sore from the day before, but I was thinking I could make it to the bus stop at least. Wrong. I ended up falling (twice in ten minutes) and spraining my wrist. I also scraped up my calf, and now have an area that's about 5inx3in that's trying to heal. Needless to say, this was not a good end to our adventure. I spent the next few hours in the emergency room in St. Cloud, and have spent the last week with my calf wrapped in gauze and my right wrist in a brace. It's been hard to take notes, I had to wear a sling for a few days, and it's all around been a not-so-fun situation. I got the brace off yesterday, and my leg is starting to heal, but I've learned my lesson: no more rollerblading down hills!
For your own sake, if you decide to go out blading, wear wristgaurds! x's and o's
No comments:
Post a Comment