Fourth of July... the day that we celebrate our amazing country and the men and women that have fought for it, and us, for hundreds of years. This is the first year that I can remember that I have spent the fourth away from the lake, away from my family. We always spend the week surrounding the fourth up at the cabin and on the fourth, we head down to "the circle" and watch Dad and some of the other guys shoot off a fabulous display of fireworks.
When I was younger, we'd start celebrating before those fireworks with sparklers, a fire, and s'mores at our place. The mosquitoes were typically out in full force, which meant that Grandpa would watch us from inside the cabin, so after I had my fill of s'mores, I'd head inside to hang out with him and we'd watch the Boston Pops on television. It was strange watching the show tonight, not only not with him, but also not at my cabin.
My grandpa was an amazing man, and I miss him all the time. The fourth of July is just one day that I miss him a little extra!
May your days be filled with fireworks and admiration for the men and women that fight for us.
No comments:
Post a Comment