I still like all of my classes, but unfortunately I don't really have one that I love yet. I'm still hoping to fall in love, so we'll see. My Theology class gets more interesting every time I go. We have been discussing different viewpoints of the creation of the Bible, and my professor has so many thoughts to offer. Us students still don't talk that much, since we don't really know each other yet and of course, no one wants to be that weird kid that speaks up all the time, but slowly and surely we're all starting to open up. I've met a few of the girls in my class and I really like them, so that's great.
My French class is starting to speak more and more in French, which is wonderful, because I really want to become fluent. One of our assignments is to watch TV in French and write a review on the show. I haven't done so yet, but I'm excited to check out the on-campus French station.
Math is still going well. It's kind of my "safe" class. I have taken so much math in my building over the past five years that it's just great to be back there and in a familiar setting. I am such a nerd (ha ha) that I actually catch a bus over to SJU about a half an hour early to go and talk to one of my two professors from the past two years. It's been great catching up with them.
Finally, my FYS class. I am really interested in the novel we're reading right now, which is about an elder Indian telling his story to a middle aged white man. My FYS class is the class where I interact with other students the most. A bunch of us are on intramural volleyball teams and we have fun just talking before class.
Other than my classes, I've been keeping busy. I started Wind Ensemble out at SCSU, and it's pretty nice to be back out there. I always forget how much I love making music with other people. We perform in about two weeks for the President's Inauguration, so that'll be fun. I still have to figure out how to enroll in flute lessons without having to pay $800 per semester. We'll have to see how that goes.
I've been hanging out with my new friends a lot, which is great. We've gone into town the past two nights, to pick up some stuff last night, and to pick up my pictures tonight. (I also got my upper ear pierced!! Yikes! I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet...) Last night we played a pick up game of sand volleyball with one of the girls in my FYS class. It was really fun, and we just kept adding random people onto the teams. We played three games, and there was a lot of laughter and joking around. I feel a lot better about playing on an intramural volleyball team now that I've had a chance to play again. Oh yeah, and I went to my first Johnnie football game today! It was really fun :o) And we won!
It's been tough getting enough sleep, which is pretty much to be expected in my first couple of weeks of school. It's hard to say no to doing things that I really want to do, but I'm working on it. I have been keeping on top of my homework and I have been working out which is great. I still need to find a time to practice regularly, but other than that things have been going well. I've been sick with sinus problems this week, which is a bummer, but I think I am starting to get over it.
Although I love college so far, there are definitely some tough things. I am starting to really miss my family and friends. I love my new friends, don't get me wrong, but I miss my old friends too, the ones that knew all about me and loved me no matter what. It's really hard to just jump into a new pool of people that I don't really know all that well. And the whole drinking scene is really hard for me to reconcile with. I know that a lot of people do it, but I don't and won't, so it's hard for me to be okay with my new friends doing so. I've talked to my mom a lot this week, and I've also chatted with my two best friends, so that's been great. I'm really looking forward to coming home and seeing them again.
Let's see... any other new news... Oh, I'm getting my wisdom teeth taken out on October 1st. I'm nervous about this, but oddly enough excited too. I've been waiting to get this done since Adam got his taken out three summers ago.
I think that's all for now. Leave me some comments, please!! I want to know who's reading this :o)
6 comments:
Did you see Uncle Dan? he was reffing the Johnnie's game on Saturday . . .
I did see him. I talked to him for a bit before the game, and all my friends admitted that he did a good job on the calls... ha ha :o)
Hi Rach - came across your blog on Dan & Juli's blog. I've loved catching up with what's going on in your life! I'll definitely be a regular. We have a blog as well, it's www.ramosmn.blogspot.com - you can check it out from time to time. I took two trips to the BWCA when I was in high school and reading about your trip brought back memories for me. Portaging canoes, living on dried food and not showering - like you said - might not sound like fun but it's a blast! I loved every second of my BWCA experiences.
Sounds like you're adjusting well and having fun. I was fortunate enough to have my best friend as a roommate my first two years at college and my mom worked on campus! In a way, that kept me in my comfort zone, which felt good at the time but doesn't always leave the most room for growth! I'm sure you already know that in time you won't be able to imagine your life without your new friends, while continuing to cherish those that have been with you 'through the years'. You're in for such a great adventure. Have fun and I'm so excited for you and that I get to stay connected to you by checking in! Love ya!
Tesa
I guess it's obvious that he never tells me anything . . . particularly that he talked to you on Saturday.
It sounds like you're havine a great time so far. Is Sal's still around downtown St. Joe? WAYYYY back when I used to visit friends up at SJU, we went to Sal's for pizza. It was tasty!
Hey Tesa, I'm glad you found your way in here! When I sent out the email about this, I only sent it to the people whose email addresses I had in my computer, which apparently did not include yours.
I am absolutely loving college life. I don't really know my roommate that well yet, but we're working on getting to know each other a little better. I definitely already can't imagine my life without my new friends. It's nice, because they don't have any pre-conceived notions about me, so I can become whomever I want to be. I do miss my old friends, but I'm doing okay without them.
I will definitely check out your blog.... I miss you having a website that I can check out :o)
Love, Rachel
Hi Juli,
Sal's is still around. I haven't had it yet, because Gary's is the big thing around here now, but I will have to check it out. It's really close to where I live, so maybe I'll grab a bunch of people and head out there one night. Hope all is well with you.
Love, Rachel
Post a Comment