Why Blog?

I'm a 22 year college graduate, documenting the things in my life that I want to always remember. The big things, the little things, the crazy things, the everyday things. It gets a bit random at times, and sometimes I like to ponder on the craziness of life. There's nothing earth-shattering here, but I like to think it's all fun to read. Read, leave me comments, ask questions, enjoy.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

College? What?

I was thinking the other day about how weird it is that I am a college student now. I know it's been over a month already, and you would think that by this time I would have gotten used to the fact, but I think it really hit me for the first time this week. It's a good thing, but so different from what I have always known life to be.

I live in a room that is maybe a little more than half the size of my room at home, and I share it with another person. We have two bed, two chairs, a t.v., two desks, two closets, a sink, a refrigerator, and all of the stuff we need to survive here. And we're roommates. We don't talk that much, but we actually live together! I see her almost every day, unless one of us is gone, and I will continue to see her every day and sleep in the same room as her, and just live with her for the next seven months. I never see my family, and she doesn't see hers. We don't have to answer to each other, but at the same time, we have to respect each other. I was really nervous about the whole roommate experience when I started college, and now it's something that I take for granted. In fact, when I went home the other weekend, it was weird to not have her there. (And to have so much room!)

Another thing that's weird to think about is the fact that I live at the same place that I go to school. If I didn't play in the SCSU wind ensemble, there would be no reason for me to ever leave campus. I do my laundry here, I eat here, I go to class here, I go to church here, I sleep here, and all of my friends are here, so I always have someone to hang out with without going very far at all. 

I have had to become so comfortable here that it's comical. I walk around dressed in the weirdest things, and I just don't care. I wear my slippers out to the BAC to practice piano or to Gorecki to eat, I wear my sweats anywhere and everywhere, I go barefoot pretty much anywhere (just not to the shower, outside, or to SJU), my hair never looks good, and sometimes I even go to class without showering, which is something I would have never considered back at home. 

I feel like have met so many new people, and at the same time I know that I haven't even met a fraction of the people that attend school here. There's always someone new to meet and even the people that I do know surprise me sometimes with information that I did not know about them. I love meeting new people, so this is a good thing for me, but I feel like I don't get a chance to hang out with all of them, and that kind of sucks. 

I answer to no one here. All of the decisions I make, I make on my own. I can eat when and what I want, stay up as late as I want, (and sleep as late as I want), go to St. John's or stay at CSB, basically whatever. Of course, I still have to follow the laws, and the rules of the school, but the rules aren't hard to abide by, and I've never had a problem with the law. I don't even have to go to class if I don't want. And if I do go, I don't have to stay awake, nor do I have to do homework for them. Of course, if I don't go, or don't do the work, I won't pass it, but I guess I don't really even have to pass the class if I don't want to. 

I guess that's all for now. I just kind of rambled there, but I still don't know if I even conveyed the awe that I feel at the fact that I am here for the next four years, nine months a year, essentially by myself. I can't wait to see where I go from here!

1 comment:

Jennifer Mulvihill said...

Adding you to my blog list! :)

Jenny