Well, I've been living up at my cabin for almost a month now. The first week and a half, my family was up, and this past week, my family was up again, so I haven't really had much time alone yet, which is just fine. I love living up here, and I'm pretty happy living alone, but it still makes me nervous to be the only one in the house at night. Anyway, my days typically consist of at least four hours of work, a minimum of six miles of biking, lots of reading, some tv, and food. And that's about it. It's a pretty simple lifestyle up here, and even though it's taken a little getting used to, I know that it's going to be very odd when I leave. There's just something that so peaceful and laid back about life up here: one channel on the tv, bad cell phone service, in the beginning; no internet.... it just kind of makes you focus more on getting outside and meeting new people. In a way, I'm dreading leaving when it's time for school again.
Work. I love it. I'm working at Sugar Point Resort this summer. For those of you who have never been here, it's about three miles away from our cabin, and we have 19 cabins available for rent. Right now, most of them are filled up, and it's been a busy couple of weeks. I almost always have a job to do when I get here: stripping cabins, checking toilet paper in the campgrounds, stocking the cooler/freezer, or something along those lines. Then, I pretty much just sit in the lodge until the end of my shift, reading, playing cards, talking to my coworkers, and selling candy/ice/pop/fishing licenses. It's very easy work, but it gets me out of the cabin, and around people, so it's fun work. I've read quite a few books sitting at that counter this summer :o)
I work with my bosses, Steve and Bunny, their grandson Jordan, and a local boy named Keith. Jordan and I started at about the same time, and he'll be leaving with his parents tomorrow to head back home. He's a typical 14 year old boy; always trying to tell me what to do, and acting super cool. We have a lot of fun together cause he's kind of like a younger brother, but better because I don't have to take him home with me. Keith is 18, and we've had an interesting road of a relationship. We get along pretty well; I think there's only been one day where I was fairly upset with him, and didn't want to see him again for a few days. Other than that, he reminds me a lot of my friends from St. John's, and we laugh a lot together. We're going to head into town later this week and catch a movie and some food, so that should be interesting. Steve and Bunny are just great. Steve terrified me at first, but now I love hanging out and chatting with him. It's been a joy working for them, and I'm pretty sure that I'll be back next summer.
I have two and a half weeks left up here, and next week I'll be down at the dock, since Keith will be out of town. I'm excited for school, but I know it will be sad for me to leave here. I've made some good friends, and I've enjoyed every second of the month. I don't know when I'll be able to get back on here, but my days are almost all the same, so there's not too much to update you on. Love to all, I hope you're enjoying your summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment